Tuesday, February 2, 2016
Divorce is expensive. As the joke states, they're worth it. Sometimes it's "cheaper to keep her".
Around this time of the year (starting the first work day of January) to right after Valentine's Day, most divorce lawyers' phones are ringing off the hook. In fact, I was quoted here, in this article, "Kelly Chang, a Los Angeles-based divorce lawyer said she has seen an increase in divorce filings shortly after Valentine’s Day. This can be attributed to two major groups of people: the ‘Delayed New Year’s Resoluters’ who are merely moving forward on their resolution to be single, just a month late, and the ‘Waiting to Exhalers,’ who, depending on the actions of their spouses on Valentine’s Day, will either reconcile or file for divorce,” she said.
Google "expensive divorces", and you will find a listing of the most expensive divorces in history, including but not limited to: Alec Wildenstein's divorce from Jocelyn Wildenstein; estimated at $3.8 billion; Rupert Murdoch's divorce from Wendi Deng; estimated at $1.8 billion.; Rupert Murdoch's divorce from Anna Murdoch: estimated to be $1.7 billion.
I have been a divorce attorney for over 16 years. Here in Los Angeles, the estimate is that a contested divorce costs approximately $100,000 total in attorneys' fees, and lasts 3-4 years.
Why? Because it's divorce!!! They still want to WIN!!! DESTROY!!! They want that PITBULL! I wish I could share some of the emails I have received from people i have NEVER met, telling me how much they hated their spouses and how much they needed to WIN.
Here are 10 ways to drive up your divorce costs.
1. Refuse to talk to your spouse. Have everything go through the lawyers.
2. Don't teach yourself anything about the divorce process. Just stick your head under the sand and have your lawyer handle it.
3. Email/call your lawyer to tell her everything that happened today between you and your ex.
4. Assume settlement is for "losers", and always try to "win".
5. Insist on being "heard" in court, because your situation is different, and you just KNOW the Judge will always side with you.
6. Even though you have always handled the finances, develop a conspiracy theory that your spouse is hiding assets, and stick to it. Hire private investigators and forensics to back up all your theories.
7. Refuse to read any documents presented by the other side's lawyer, because you don't trust them. At all.
8. Even though your wife hasn't worked in over 12 years because she has been a stay-at-home mom, refuse to pay ANY spousal support and make her undergo a vocational evaluation.
9. Fight for FULL CUSTODY, because you alone KNOW what's in the best interests of your children.
10. Refuse to hear anybody's version of "what's fair", because only you know best, and you will get what you want in Court.
Good luck out there!